Root canal procedures have the reputation of being painful. Actually, most people report that the procedure itself is no more painful than having a filling placed. The discomfort experienced in the period leading up to a seeking of dental care is truly the painful period of time, not the root canal procedure itself.
Signs you may need a root canal include:
1. Severe toothache pain upon chewing or application of pressure
2. Prolonged sensitivity/pain to heat or cold temperatures (after the hot or cold has been removed)
3. Discoloration (a darkening) of the tooth
4. Swelling and tenderness in the nearby gums
5. A persistent or recurring pimple on the gums
6. Sometimes no symptoms are present